Bylaw FAQ

For more information, the Bylaw Officer may be reached:

Office: (306) 425-3803


What are the most common reasons someone may receive a ticket?

Overgrown Grass & Weeds –Overgrown grass or weeds in excess of 0.20 meters. 

Untidy and Unsightly Property –Any land or buildings that are untidy or unsightly 

Parking – Street parking exceeding 48 hours; Parked in Handicapped Parking; Parking obstructing the sidewalk or roadway; Parked within 3.05m of a fire hydrant; and/or Parked illegally 

Dog – Running at large; Disturbance by barking excessively; Defecating on others property; and/or No dog license

How can I file a complaint against my neighbor?

You may submit a complaint by e-mailing or alternatively, coming into the Town Office and completing a Complaint Form. Please note that you will be asked if you have contacted the responsible party.

Can I submit my complaint anonymously?

You should identify yourself to the Town when filing a complaint. The Town cannot provide your information to anyone else, and any correspondence resulting from the complaint will be addressed from the Town.

How do I know if I have a violation on my property?

The Bylaw Officer has many methods of initiating contact. The standard enforcement tool is the ‘Warning/Violation/Order to Remedy’ notice which is a printed hard copy document that lists the warning or violation and the required corrective actions to resolve it. In all cases the Bylaw Officer will attempt contact by knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. If there is no response, the notice is left at the front door. If a violation has occurred, the notice will be sent via. registered mail.

What happens if I have a property violation?

Once a violation is observed, the Bylaw Officer will provide you a period of time to take whatever action necessary to correct the problem. If you are unsure or require further explanation regarding your property violation, call the Bylaw Officer as soon as you receive the letter to find out how to correct the problem and do so promptly. The lower portion of the notice contains the contact information for the bylaw officer. In some cases permits may be required for the repairs, so please ensure all procedures are followed.

What if the property receiving the violation is a rental property?

For common violations, the Bylaw Officer will try to gain compliance from either the resident of the property or the property owner. In the event the resident does not voluntarily comply, the property owner will be notified.

What happens if I do not comply with my violation?

Any person who contravenes any provision and is guilty of an offense and liable on summary conviction could receive a fine of up to:

  1. $10,000.00 in the case of an individual
  2. $25,000.00 in the case of a limited company or corporation
  3. $2,500.00 daily in the case of a continuing offense

I received a parking ticket, where can I pay my fine?

Fines can be paid at the Town Office, located at 1212 Hildebrand Drive in La Ronge. The Town Office is open from Monday-Thursday from 7:30am-4:00pm and Fridays from 7:30am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm.

What forms of payment are accepted?

Payments can be made via cheque, cash or debit.

How long can I park my car on the street?

No person shall park a vehicle in any location upon a street for more than 48 hours. If you are concerned about a vehicle that has exceeded its parking limit, please contact the Bylaw Officer at (306) 420-9161. Make sure to include the vehicle’s location, make, model, colour and license plate.

The windstorm knocked a tree down into my yard and damaged some of my property. Who is held responsible?

It depends. If it was a tree on your neighbour’s property, it becomes a neighbour dispute and you would have to resolve it with them. If it was from a tree on Town property, then the Town would be held responsible and will take the necessary measures to resolve it.

There are several trees on a power line in my neighborhood. What should I do?

Please phone SaskPower at (888) 757-6937 to report the concern.

My neighbor is building a fence and I think it will be on my property. What can I do?

Please come into the Town Office and complete a Property Pin Locates request form. The Public Works department will do their best to find the pin locates for your property at no cost. However in some instances, they are unable to find them due to a variety of factors. You will then be advised to hire a legal surveyor at your expense, to settle a dispute.

It's 2am and my neighbors are being loud. What can I do?

The hours for the Noise Bylaw are 11:00pm-6:30am during weekdays and 11pm-7:30am on Sundays or holidays. Please contact the RCMP at (306) 425-6730 for noise violations during these hours. For more information, please refer to the Town of La Ronge’s Noise Bylaw #343/95.

What are the hours for the Curfew Bylaw and who does it apply to?

The curfew bylaw is for children under the age of 18. The prohibited hours are 11:00pm to 6:00am for all weekdays and weekends.